Sunday, October 3, 2010

This Is Park City



Day 12/ Oct 2, 2010


I was sleeping really well, so I didn't want to get up. Then, I heard that we were going to Park City today so I stood right up and got my breakfast. Everyone piled in the car and we started to drive to Park City which is North East of Provo. The drive there was beautiful with the red, orange and yellow tree leaves in the Provo Canyon.

Finally, after a  45 minute drive, we arrived at Park City. Park City is a major ski resort town with an elevation of 7,000 ft. The peaks reach 10,000 ft. so it was chilly when we arrived. The annual snowfall is 360 inches per year which made it a perfect place for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games. Aunt Kim gave us a tour of Empire Pass where we saw a lot of ski resorts; including one with a 40,000 foot spa. The mountain road was so steep that the car brakes began smoking because of over use. Luckily, we made it back to Main Street and the brakes were able cool down while we took a stroll.

Main Street is a major tourist hot spot. Today it was home to the Dodge Viper event. The cars were amazing but they looked really expensive. For lunch we ate at Red Banjo Pizza and I had a delicious cup of Vanilla Coke with a satisfying slice of cheese pizza. Next we walked down Main Street and looked in some stores. Inside a souvenir store, we saw a brown bag labeled elk poop which was actually chocolate covered peanuts. At the end of our walk, we got ice cream. My choice was mint chocolate chip with sprinkles. Park City was really a Prescott mimic with only a couple of cool stores.

After leaving Park City, we stopped at a nursery with a pumpkin patch. There we met a big black "Mexican Beach Dog". The owner calls him that because Mexico is where she found him. 

We drove through Salt Lake Canyon and stopped at This Is The Place Monument. The Monument is where Brigham Young and the Mormon Pioneers first arrived in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake. The site was clean and quiet with hardly anyone there. In the Visitor Center, I  got a present for Joshua and Daddy. After some pictures we drove back home.

Aunt Kim, Zach and I ran back out to get salad fixings. For dinner we had antipasti and baked bread. Before we went to bed, we played a fun round of Apples to Apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment